From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte (1884-1886) - Seurat
- Skull with a Cigarette (1886) - Vincent van Gogh
- Félicien Rops, illustrations to Barbey d'Aurevilly's Les Diaboliques published.
- International labor strikes, riots.
- November 30 - Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- The Future Eve
- Psychopathia Sexualis by Richard von Krafft-Ebing
- Le Décadent littéraire et artistique founded in Paris; Anatole Baju, ed. (continued publication to 1889 as Le Décadent); journal.
- Jean Moréas, "Symbolist Manifesto" published in Le Figaro.
- March 1 - Oskar Kokoschka, Austrian artist and poet (d. 1980)
- March 2 - Willis O'Brien, stop motion animator (d. 1962)
- March 24 - Edward Weston, American photographer (d. 1958)
- May 2 - Gottfried Benn, German poet (d. 1956)
- September 16 - Jean Arp, Alsatian sculptor, painter, and poet (d. 1966)
- November 1 - Hermann Broch, Austrian author (d. 1951)
- December 8 - Diego Rivera, Mexican painter (d. 1957)
- March 17 - Pierre-Jules Hetzel, editor and publisher (b. 1814)
- May 15 - Emily Dickinson, American poet (b. 1830)