From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
1911 is the 1911th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 911th year of the 2nd millennium, the 11th year of the 20th century, and the 2nd year of the 1910s decade.
Art and culture
- L'Inferno by Italian film director Giuseppe de Liguoro.
- The Birth of the Sixth Art by Ricciotto Canudo
- The Lady of the Camellias by André Calmettes and Henri Pouctal
- Exploits and Opinions of Dr. Faustroll, pataphysician by Jarry is published
- The Phantom of the Opera is translated into English
- The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce
- Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition
- What a Life!
- The Quest for Fire
- Palais Stoclet (1905 to 1911) by Josef Hoffmann
- Me and my Village by Marc Chagall
- Blue Horse by Franz Marc
- Mona Lisa stolen in Paris
- Marshall McLuhan (1911 - 1980)
- Martin Denny (1911 - 2005)
- Bernard Herrmann (1911 - 1975)
- Mervyn Peake (1911 - 1968)
- Samuel Fuller (1911 - 1997)
- Jules Joseph Lefebvre (1836 – 1911)