From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1566 - Antwerp history, during the iconoclasm of August, Protestants destroyed a large part of the valuable interior of the Antwerp cathedral.
- 1857 - The Fleurs du mal trial: some of the poems in The Flowers of Evil condemned in France.
- 1975 - The Beast premieres in France.
- 1827 - Charles De Coster, Belgian novelist (b. 1879)
- 1873 - Eliel Saarinen, Finnish architect (d. 1950)
- 1886 - Paul Tillich, German-American philosopher (d. 1965)
- 1890 - H. P. Lovecraft, American writer (d. 1937)
- 1910 - Eero Saarinen, Finnish architect (d. 1961)
- 1914 - Colin MacInnes, English novelist (d. 1976)
- 1931 - Alain Goraguer, French pianist, arranger and composer (Fantastic Planet)
- 1937 - Andrei Konchalovsky, Russian film director
- 1942 - Isaac Hayes, American singer, songwriter, and actor
- 1946 - Ralf Hütter, German musician (Kraftwerk)
- 1681 - Elizabeth Malet, wife of John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester (b. 1651)
- 1887 - Jules Laforgue, French poet (b. 1860)
- 1959 - Alfred Kubin, Austrian artist and writer (b. 1877)
- 1979 - Christian Dotremont, Belgian painter and poet (b. 1922)
- 1980 - Joe Dassin, American singer (b. 1938)
- 1995 - Hugo Pratt, Italian graphic novel creator (b. 1927)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "August 20" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.