From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 79 - - Mount Vesuvius erupts, erupts. The cities of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Stabiae are buried in volcanic ash.
- 1456 - The printing of the Gutenberg Bible is completed.
- 1572 - Start of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre
- 1552 - Lavinia Fontana, Italian painter (d. 1614)
- 1872 - Max Beerbohm, British caricaturist (d. 1956)
- 1890 - Jean Rhys, British writer (d. 1979)
- 1899 - Jorge Luis Borges, Argentine writer (d. 1986)
- 1929 - Betty Dodson, American sex educator
- 1936 - A. S. Byatt, English novelist
- 1947 - Paulo Coelho, Brazilian author
- 1948 - Jean-Michel Jarre, French musician
- 1960 - Takashi Miike, Japanese filmmaker
- 1978 - Louis Prima, American band leader (b. 1910)
- 1986 - César Graña, Peruvian sociologist (sociology of art) (b. 1919)
- 1995 - Zbyněk Brynych, Czech filmmaker (b. 1927)
- 2006 - James Tenney, United States composer (b. 1934)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "August 24" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.