From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1928 - The Threepenny Opera premiers in Berlin
- 1897 - Thomas Edison patents the Kinetoscope, the first movie projector.
- 2006 - Stolen on August 22, 2004, Edvard Munch's famous painting The Scream was recovered from a raid by Norwegian police. The paintings were said to be in a better-than-expected condition.
- 12 - Gaius Caligula, Roman Emperor (d. 41)
- 1811 - Theophile Gautier, French poet and novelist (d. 1872)
- 1879 - Alma Mahler, wife of Gustav Mahler, Walter Gropius and Franz Werfel (d. 1964)
- 1897 - Fredric March, American actor (d. 1975)
- 1910 - Raoul Ubac, Belgian artist (d. 1985)
- 1921 - Raymond Williams, Welsh academic, novelist and critic. (d. 1988)
- 1928 - James Coburn, American actor (d. 2002)
- 1935 - Eldridge Cleaver, American political activist (d. 1998)
- 1942 - George Kuchar,United States film director
- 1942 - Gérard Pirès, French film director and writer
- 1945 - Van Morrison, Irish musician
- 1528 - Matthias Grünewald, German artist (b. c. 1470)
- 1688 - John Bunyan, English writer (b. 1628)
- 1867 - Charles Baudelaire, French poet (b. 1821)
- 1946 - Harley Granville-Barker, English theater maker (b. 1877)
- 1963 - Georges Braque, French painter (b. 1882)
- 1973 - John Ford, American film director (b. 1894)
- 1986 - Henry Moore, English sculptor (b. 1898)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "August 31" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.