From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1926 - premier of Don Juan, silent film with fully synchronized score
- 1966 - The War Game was scheduled for transmission in the United Kingdom but canceled at the last minute and not transmitted until 1985.
- 1984 - American musician Prince releases Purple Rain, the album which would launch him to superstardom.
- 1991 - Tim Berners-Lee releases files describing his idea for the World Wide Web.
- 1928 - Andy Warhol, American artist (d. 1987)
- 1931 - Umberto Lenzi, Italian film director
- 1938 - Paul Bartel, American actor (d. 2000)
- 1926 - Harrison Marks, British glamour photographer (d. 1997)
- 1969 - Elliott Smith, American musician (b. 2003)
- 1660 - Diego Velázquez, Spanish painter (b. 1599)
- 1969 - Theodor Adorno, German sociologist and philosopher (b. 1903)
- 1983 - Klaus Nomi, German singer (b. 1944)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "August 6" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.