From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1956 - This is Tomorrow exposition opens in London.
- 1966 - The Beatles landmark album Revolver is released in the United States.
- 1673 - John Ker, Scottish spy (d. 1726)
- 1848 - Marcellus Emants, Dutch writer (d. 1924)
- 1940 - Just Jaeckin, French filmmaker
- 1951 - Mamoru Oshii, Japanese film director
- 1897 - Jacob Burckhardt, Swiss art historian (b. 1818)
- 1933 - Adolf Loos, Austrian architect (b. 1870)
- 1965 - Shirley Jackson, American author (b. 1916)
- 1982 - Ferre Grignard, Belgian musician (b. 1932)
- 1985 - Louise Brooks, American actress (b. 1906)
- 2004 - Fay Wray, American actress (b. 1907)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "August 8" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.