Deaths in 2013
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
- Iain Banks, 59, Scottish author (The Wasp Factory), cancer.
- Tom Sharpe, 85, British author, complications from diabetes.
- Franca Rame, 83, Italian theatre actress, playwright, politicial activist, and wife of Dario Fo
- Jack Vance, 96, American science fiction author.
- Otto Muehl, 87, Austrian painter and activist, Parkinson's disease and cardiac ailment.
- Georges Moustaki, 79, Egyptian-born French singer and songwriter.
- Wayne F. Miller, 94, American photographer.
- Ray Manzarek, 74, American rock musician (The Doors), bile duct cancer.
- Taylor Mead, 88, American writer, actor and Andy Warhol star.
- Ray Harryhausen, 92, American stop-motion animator (Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans)
- Mike Gray, 77, American drug documentary filmmaker, screenwriter (The China Syndrome, Star Trek: The Next Generation) and author.
- Chris Kelly, 34, American rap artist (Kris Kross), suspected drug overdose.
- Richie Havens, 72, American folk singer and guitarist, heart attack.
- Vincent Montana, Jr., 85, American musician.
- Don Blackman, 59, American jazz-funk pianist, singer and songwriter, cancer.
- Sara Montiel, 85, Spanish actress and singer.
- Margaret Thatcher, 87, British politician and life peer.
- Bigas Luna, 67, Spanish film director (The Ages of Lulu), cancer.
- Roger Ebert, 70, American film critic.
- Jesús Franco, 82, Spanish film director and screenwriter (Count Dracula).
- Joe Weider, 93, Canadian-born American bodybuilder and publisher.
- Emílio Santiago, 66, Brazilian singer, complications from a stroke ("Bananeira").
- Damiano Damiani, 90, Italian film director (The Empty Canvas).
- Hugo Chávez, 58, Venezuelan politician and military officer, President (since 1999), cancer.
- Jérôme Savary, 70, Argentine-born French theater director and actor, cancer.
- Kevin Ayers, 68, English psychedelic rock songwriter and musician (Soft Machine, Wilde Flowers).
- Otfried Preußler, 89, German children's book author (Krabat).
- Donald Byrd, 80, American jazz trumpeter.
- Reg Presley, 71, British singer and musician (The Troggs), lung cancer.
- Cecil Womack, 65, American musician and singer.
- Michel Guiomar, 92, French writer.
- Roger Raveel, 91, Belgian painter, pneumonia.
- Jacques Sadoul, 78, French writer and book editor.
- Michael Winner, 77, British film director (Death Wish) and food critic.
- Nagisa Oshima, 80, Japanese director and screenwriter (Empire of Passion).
- Ada Louise Huxtable, 91, American architecture critic.
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "Deaths in 2013" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.