From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1939 - Gone with the Wind premieres in the United States.
- 1965 - The film The Sound of Music is released.
- 1973 - The American Psychiatric Association declassified homosexuality as a mental disorder.
- 37 - Nero, Roman Emperor (d. 68)
- 1832 - Gustave Eiffel, French engineer and architect (Eiffel tower) (d. 1923)
- 1870 - Josef Hoffmann, Austrian architect and designer (d. 1956)
- 1907 - Oscar Niemeyer, Brazilian architect (d. 2012)
- 1910 - John H. Hammond, American musician (d. 1987)
- 1911 - Stan Kenton, American musician (d. 1979)
- 1912 - Ray Eames, American designer (d. 1988)
- 1922 - Alan Freed, American disc jockey (d. 1965)
- 1928 - Friedensreich Hundertwasser, Austrian artist (d. 2000)
- 1936 - Joe D'Amato, Italian film director (d. 1999)
- 1934 - Conrad Rooks, American film director (Chappaqua)
- 1937 - Donald Goines , African American novelist (d. 1974)
- 1948 - Pascal Bruckner, French writer
- 1954 - Alex Cox, British film director
- 1675 - Johannes Vermeer, Dutch painter (b. 1632)
- 1966 - Walt Disney, American animator (b. 1901)
- 1979 - Sonia Delaunay , Ukrainian-French artist (b. 1885)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "December 15" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.