From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1892 - The first performance of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker is held at the Mariinsky Theatre in St. Petersburg.
- 1964 - American release of Jean-Luc Godard's New Wave film Le Mépris.
- 1966 - American release of Michelangelo Antonioni's British-Italian art film Blowup.
- 1970 - El Topo premieres at the Elgin Cinema, New York.
- 1870 - Saki, British writer (d. 1916)
- 1878 - Joseph Stalin, leader of the Soviet Union (d. 1953)
- 1879 - Paul Klee, Swiss-born painter (d. 1940)
- 1916 - Betty Grable, American actress (d. 1973)
- 1926 - Walter Lassally, German-born British cinematographer closely associated with the British New Wave
- 1931 - Allen Klein, American rock and roll business manager
- 1931 - André S. Labarthe , French film critic, producer, director and screen writer.
- 1937 - Frankie Crocker, New York radio DJ. (d. 2000)
- 1939 - Michael Moorcock, British author
- 1943 - Keith Richards, English guitarist (The Rolling Stones)
- 1946 - Steven Spielberg, American film director
- 1952 - Bettina Rheims, French artist and photographer
- 1955 - Ray Liotta, American actor
- 1963 - Brad Pitt, American actor
- 1803 - Johann Gottfried Herder, German writer (b. 1744)
- 1869 - Louis Moreau Gottschalk, American composer and pianist (b. 1829)
- 1987 - Konrad "Conny" Plank, German record producer and musician (b. 1940)
- 1999 - Robert Bresson, French film director (b. 1907)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "December 18" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.