From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1896 - The opera La bohème premieres (Turin).
- 1968 - General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Viet Cong prisoner in Saigon photograph taken by Eddie Adams.
- 1978 - Director Roman Polanski skips bail and flees to France after pleading guilty to charges of engaging in sex with a 13-year-old girl.
- 1872 - Paul Fort, French poet (d. 1960)
- 1901 - Clark Gable, American actor (d. 1960)
- 1935 - Mario Bellini, Italian designer and architect
- 1948 - Rick James, American musician and composer (d. 2004)
- 1966 - Laurent Garnier, French music producer and DJ
- 1848 - Thomas Cole, American artist (Hudson River School) (b. 1801)
- 1851 - Mary Shelley, English author (b. 1797)
- 1944 - Piet Mondrian, Dutch painter (De Stijl) (b. 1872)
- 1945 - Johan Huizinga, Dutch historian (Homo Ludens) (b. 1872)
- 1966 - Buster Keaton, American actor (b. 1895)
- 1971 - Raoul Hausmann, Austrian sculptor and writer (Dada) (b. 1886)
- 1976 - Hans Richter, German painter, graphic artist, filmmaker (b. 1888)
- 1984 - Ada "Bricktop" Smith, American dancer, singer, and entrepreneur (b. 1894)
- 1987 - Alessandro Blasetti, Italian film director (b. 1900)
- 2002 - Hildegard Knef, German actress, singer, and writer (b. 1925)
- 2003 - Mongo Santamaria, Cuban percussionist and band leader (b. 1922)
- 2005 - John Vernon, Canadian actor (b. 1932)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "February 1" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.