From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1633 - Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome for his trial before the Inquisition.
- 1881 - The feminist newspaper La Citoyenne is first published in Paris by activist Hubertine Auclert.
- 1894 - Auguste and Louis Lumière patent the Cinematographe, a combination movie camera and projector.
- 1914 - Copyright: In New York City the ASCAP (for American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) is established to protect the copyrighted musical compositions of its members.
- 1920 - The Negro National League is formed.
- 1440 - Hartmann Schedel, German physician, humanist and historian (Nuremberg Chronicle) (b. 1514)
- 1707 - Claude Prosper Jolyot de Crébillon, French novelist (Le Sopha, conte moral) (d. 1777)
- 1766 - Thomas Robert Malthus Demographer and Political Economist (d. 1834)
- 1892 - Grant Wood, American painter (d. 1942)
- 1895 - Paul Nougé, Belgian poet and philosopher (d. 1967)
- 1903 - Georges Simenon, Belgian writer (d. 1989)
- 1930 - Ernst Fuchs, Austrian artist (d. 2015)
- 1933 - Costa Gavras, Greek-French filmmaker
- 1933 - Kim Novak, American actress
- 1938 - Oliver Reed, English actor (Women in Love, The Devils) (d. 1999)
- 1941 - Sigmar Polke, German painter (d. 2010)
- 1950 - Ewa Aulin, Swedish actress (Candy)
- 1961 - Henry Rollins, American musician
- 1521 - Ferdinand Magellan, Portuguese explorer
- 1571 - Benvenuto Cellini, Italian artist (b. 1500)
- 1868 - Charles Méryon, French artist (b. 1821)
- 1883 - Richard Wagner, German composer (b. 1813)
- 1914 - Alphonse Bertillon, French law enforcement officer and creator of anthropometry (b. 1853)
- 1958 - Georges Rouault, French painter (b. 1871)
- 2004 - Carole Eastman, American screenwriter (Five Easy Pieces) (b. 1934)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "February 13" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.