From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1953 - Summer with Monika premieres in Sweden.
- 1964 - The Beatles perform their first live American television appearance.
- 1976 - Radio Alice starts radio broadcasting from Bologna.
- 1579 - Johannes Meursius, Dutch classical scholar and antiquary (Académie des dames) (d. 1639)
- 1885 - Alban Berg, Austrian composer (d. 1935)
- 1910 - Jacques Monod, French biochemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1976)
- 1923 - Brendan Behan, Irish author (d. 1964)
- 1928 - Frank Frazetta, American illustrator (d. 2010)
- 1931 - Thomas Bernhard, Austrian playwright and novelist (d. 1989)
- 1940 - J. M. Coetzee, South African author
- 1942 - Carole King, American singer
- 1960 - Holly Johnson, British singer (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
- 1619 - Lucilio Vanini, Italian philosopher (b. 1585)
- 1640 - Murad IV, Ottoman Sultan (b. 1612)
- 1824 - Anne Catherine Emmerich, Roman Catholic nun, stigmatic, mystic, visionary and ecstatic (b. 1774)
- 1854 - George Lippard, American novelist, journalist, playwright and social activist b. 1822)
- 1874 - Jules Michelet, French historian (b. 1798)
- 1881 - Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Russian novelist (b. 1821)
- 1891 - Johan Jongkind, Dutch painter (b. 1819)
- 1894 - Maxime Du Camp, French writer and photographer, travel companion of Gustave Flaubert.(b. 1822)
- 1976 - Percy Faith, Canadian musician (b. 1908)
- 2005 - Tyrone Davis, American soul singer (b. 1938)
- 2007 - Ian Richardson, Scottish actor (b. 1934)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "February 9" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.