From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1776 - Thomas Paine publishes Common Sense.
- 1927 - The film Metropolis by Fritz Lang premieres.
- 1929 - Tintin, a comic book character created by Hergé, makes his debut
- 1936 - Paul Eluard introduces Dora Maar to Picasso.
- 1869 - Grigori Rasputin, Russian monk (d. 1916)
- 1924 - Max Roach, American percussionist, drummer, and composer (d. 2007)
- 1936 - Al Goldstein, American publisher (Screw magazine) (d. 2013)
- 1939 - William Levy, Dutch writer
- 1949 - Linda Lovelace, American pornographic actress (d. 2002)
- 1953 - Dennis Cooper, American author
- 1954 - François Kevorkian, French-born American DJ
- 1956 - Don Letts, Britsh DJ and filmmaker
- 1778 - Carolus Linnaeus, Swedish botanist (b. 1707)
- 1846 - Étienne Pivert de Senancour, French writer (Obermann) (b. 1770)
- 1904 - Jean-Léon Gérôme, French painter and sculptor (b. 1824)
- 1951 - Sinclair Lewis, American writer (b. 1885)
- 1961 - Dashiell Hammett, American writer (b. 1894)
- 1971 - Coco Chanel, French fashion designer (b. 1883)
- 2007 - Carlo Ponti, Italian film producer (b. 1912)
- 2007 - Georges Bernier, French humorist and founder of Hara Kiri magazine (b. 1929)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 10" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.