From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1777 - Sade is incarcerated at the Vincennes prison.
- 1831 - The Hunchback of Notre Dame first published in France.
- 1832 - American author Edgar Allan Poe publishes his first short story, "Metzengerstein".
- 1836 - Henri Fantin-Latour, French painter (d. 1904)
- 1863 - Richard F. Outcault, American comic strip scriptwriter, sketcher and painter (The Yellow Kid) (d. 1928)
- 1892 - Hal Roach, American film producer (d. 1992)
- 1896 - John Dos Passos, American author (d. 1970)
- 1905 - Cecil Beaton, English photographer (d. 1980)
- 1909 - Joseph Losey, American theatre and film director (d. 1984)
- 1921 - Murray Bookchin, American libertarian socialist (d. 2006)
- 1921 - Norris Embry, American artist (d. 1981)
- 1925 - Yukio Mishima, Japanese writer (d. 1970)
- 1932 - Harriet Andersson, Swedish actress (Summer with Monika)
- 1933 - Stan Brakhage, American filmmaker (d. 2003)
- 1963 - Steven Soderbergh, American director
- 1968 - LL Cool J, American rapper and actor
- 1753 - George Berkeley, Irish theologian (b. 1685)
- 1867 - Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, French painter (b. 1780)
- 1885 - Rodolphe Bresdin, French graphic artist (b. 1822)
- 1898 - Lewis Carroll, English writer and mathematician (b. 1832)
- 1957 - Humphrey Bogart, American actor (b. 1899)
- 1977 - Anaïs Nin, French author (b. 1903)
- 1968 - Fritz Kahn, German writer and illustrator (b. 1888)
- 1987 - Douglas Sirk, American film director (b. 1900)
- 2003 - Koloman Sokol, Slovak painter (b. 1902)
- 2005 - Conroy Maddox, English painter (b. 1912)
- 2006 - Shelley Winters, American actress (b. 1920)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 14" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.