From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1412 - The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy.
- 1605 - The first edition of El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid.
- 1816 - Annabella leaves Lord Byron, taking 1-month old Ada with her
- 1890 - Karl Freund, German filmmaker (Mad Love) (d. 1969)
- 1909 - Clement Greenberg, American art critic (Avant-Garde and Kitsch) (d. 1994)
- 1923 - Christine Brooke-Rose, British writer and literary critic (d. 2012)
- 1933 - Susan Sontag, American writer (d. 2004)
- 1939 - Ralph Gibson, American art photographer
- 1946 - Jean-Pierre Bouyxou, French film critic, author, filmmaker and actor.
- 1948 - John Carpenter, American film director
- 1974 - Kate Moss, English model
- 1794 - Edward Gibbon, English historian (b. 1737)
- 1935 - Ma Barker, American criminal (b. 1873)
- 1901 - Arnold Böcklin, Swiss painter (b. 1827)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 16" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.