From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1525 - Counterculture: The Swiss Anabaptist Movement is born when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and about a dozen others baptize each other in the home of Manz's mother on Neustadt-Gasse, Zürich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union.
- 1789 - The first American novel, The Power of Sympathy or the Triumph of Nature Founded in Truth, is printed in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1793 – After being found guilty of treason by the French Convention, Citizen Capet, Louis XVI of France, is guillotined.
- 1910 - “All art is erotic says Adolf Loos
- 1999 - War on Drugs: In one of the largest drug busts in American history, the United States intercepts a ship with over 9,500 pounds (4,300 kg) of cocaine on board.
- 1895 - Noe Ito, Japanese anarchist, social critic, author and feminist (d. 1923)
- 1905 - Christian Dior, French fashion designer (d. 1957)
- 1924 - Benny Hill, English actor, comedian, and singer (d. 1992)
- 1929 - Radley Metzger, American filmmaker, distributor and producer.
- 1938 - Wolfman Jack, American disk jockey and actor (d. 1995)
- 1941 - Richie Havens, American musician (d. 2013)
- 1950 - Billy Ocean, West Indian musician
- 1952 - Louis Menand, American writer and critic
- 1955 - Jeff Koons, American artist
- 304 - Saint Agnes (martyred)
- 1773 - Alexis Piron, French writer (b. 1689)
- 1793 - King Louis XVI of France (executed) (b. 1754)
- 1831 - Ludwig Achim von Arnim, German poet (b. 1781)
- 1870 - Alexander Herzen, Russian writer (b. 1812)
- 1891 - Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier, French Classicist painter and sculptor (b. 1815)
- 1924 - Vladimir Lenin, Russian revolutionary (b. 1870)
- 1938 - Georges Méliès, French filmmaker (b. 1861)
- 1950 - George Orwell, British writer (b. 1903)
- 1959 - Cecil B. DeMille, American director (b. 1881)
- 1961 - Blaise Cendrars, Swiss writer (b. 1887)
- 1984 - Jackie Wilson, American musician (b. 1934)
- 1999 - Susan Strasberg, American actress (b. 1938)
- 2007 - Peer Raben, German composer best known for his work with Rainer Werner Fassbinder (d. 1940)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 21" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.