From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1595 - William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet is probably first performed.
- 1667 - Elizabeth Malet marries John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester .
- 1845 - "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe is published in the New York Evening Mirror.
- 1499 - Katharina von Bora, wife of Martin Luther (d. 1552)
- 1688 - Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish scientist and philosopher (d. 1772)
- 1737 - Thomas Paine, American patriot (d. 1809)
- 1860 - Anton Chekhov, Russian writer (d. 1904)
- 1905 - Barnett Newman, American painter (d. 1970)
- 1919 - N. F. Simpson, English playwright (d. 2011)
- 1924 - Luigi Nono, Italian composer (d. 1990)
- 1929 - Elio Petri, Italian filmmaker. (d. 1982)
- 1939 - Germaine Greer, Australian writer
- 1944 - Andrew Loog Oldham, English rock music producer, impresario and author
- 1949 - Leroy Sibbles, Jamaican musician (The Heptones)
- 1960 - J. G. Thirlwell, Australian-born musician
- 1880 - W. C. Fields, American comedian, and actor (d. 1946)
- 1888 - Edward Lear, English artist, illustrator and writer (b. 1812)
- 1899 - Alfred Sisley, British impressionist painter (b. 1839)
- 1956 - H. L. Mencken, American journalist (b. 1880)
- 1970 - Marie-Laure de Noailles, French art patron (b. 1902)
- 1999 - Lili St. Cyr, American dancer (b. 1918)
- 2003 - Leslie Fiedler, American literary critic (b. 1917)
- 2004 - Janet Frame, New Zealand writer (b. 1924)
- 2006 - Nam June Paik, South Korean-born American artist (b. 1932)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 29" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.