From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1463 - Poet François Villon is banned from Paris.
- 1895 - Dreyfus Affair: French officer Alfred Dreyfus is stripped of his rank and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- 1902 - Mrs. Warren's Profession premieres in London.
- 1953 - Waiting for Godot premieres
- 1968 - Prague Spring starts
- 1875 - J. Stuart Blackton, American filmmaker (d. 1941)
- 1900 - Yves Tanguy, French painter (d. 1955)
- 1921 - Friedrich Dürrenmatt, Swiss writer (d. 1990)
- 1932 - Umberto Eco, Italian writer
- 1941 - Hayao Miyazaki, Japanese film maker
- 1946 - Diane Keaton, American actress
- 1949 - George Brown, American drummer (Kool & The Gang)
- 1950 - Chris Stein, American guitarist (Blondie)
- 1969 - Marilyn Manson, American singer
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "January 5" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.