From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 390 BC - Roman-Gaulish Wars: Battle of the Allia - A Roman army is defeated by raiding Gauls, leading to the subsequent sack of Rome.
- 64 - Great fire of Rome: A fire begins to burn in the merchant area of Rome and soon burns completely out of control while Emperor Nero reportedly plays his lyre and sings while watching the blaze from a safe distance.
- 1925 - Adolf Hitler publishes his personal manifesto Mein Kampf.
- 1811 - William Makepeace Thackeray, English author (d. 1863)
- 1845 - Tristan Corbière, French poet (d. 1875)
- 1928 - Simon Vinkenoog, Dutch poet and writer (d. 2009)
- 1929 - Screamin' Jay Hawkins, American singer (d. 2000)
- 1937 - Hunter S. Thompson, American journalist and author (d. 2005)
- 1939 - Brian Auger, British musician
- 1965 - Eva Ionesco, French actress
- 1100 - Godfrey of Bouillon, French crusader
- 1610 - Caravaggio, Italian artist (b. 1573)
- 1817 - Jane Austen, English novelist (b. 1775)
- 1892 - Thomas Cook, English travel agent (b. 1808)
- 1988 - Nico, German-born model and singer (b. 1938)