From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1419 - First Defenestration of Prague.
- 1912 - start of the Taishō period in the history of Japan.
- 1954 - Elvis Presley makes his debut as a public performer.
- 1511 - Giorgio Vasari, Italian painter and architect (d. 1574)
- 1818 - Emily Brontë, English novelist (d. 1848)
- 1857 - Thorstein Veblen, American economist (d. 1929)
- 1898 - Henry Moore, English sculptor (d. 1986)
- 1925 - Alexander Trocchi, Scottish writer (d. 1984)
- 1930 - Joe Cesare Colombo, Italian industrial designer (d. 1971)
- 1939 - Peter Bogdanovich, American film director
- 1945 - Patrick Modiano French writer
- 1958 - Kate Bush, British musician
- 1960 - Richard Linklater, American director
- 1970 - Christopher Nolan, British film director
- 1894 - Walter Pater English writer (b. 1839)
- 1965 - Junichirō Tanizaki Japanese author (b. 1886)
- 2006 - Murray Bookchin, American libertarian socialist (b. 1921)
- 2007 - Ingmar Bergman, Swedish film and theatre director (b. 1918)