From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1703 - Daniel Defoe is placed in a pillory for the crime of seditious libel after publishing a politically satirical pamphlet, but is pelted with flowers.
- 1941 - Holocaust: Adolf Hitler instructs to "submit to me as soon as possible a general plan of the administrative material and financial measures necessary for carrying out the desired final solution of the Jewish question."
- 1914 - Mario Bava, Italian director (d. 1980)
- 1901 - Jean Dubuffet, French painter and sculptor (d. 1985)
- 1919 - Primo Levi, Italian author and chemist (d. 1987)
- 1933 - Cees Nooteboom, Dutch writer
- 1784 - Denis Diderot, French philosopher and encylopedist (b. 1713)
- 1944 - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, French pilot and writer (b. 1900)
- 2003 - Guido Crepax, Italian comics artist (b. 1933)