From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1456 - A retrial verdict acquits Joan of Arc of heresy 25 years after her death.
- 1534 - European colonization of the Americas: First known exchange between Europeans and natives of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, in New Brunswick.
- 1887 - Jack the Ripper strikes.
- 1833 - Félicien Rops, Belgian artist and erotomaniac (d. 1898)
- 1860 - Gustav Mahler, Austrian composer (d. 1911)
- 1884 - Lion Feuchtwanger, German dramatist (d. 1958)
- 1887 - Marc Chagall, Russian painter (d. 1985)
- 1901 - Vittorio De Sica, Italian neorealist director (d. 1974)
- 1922 - Pierre Cardin, French fashion designer
- 1810 - Renée-Pélagie de Montreuil first and only wife of Marquis de Sade (b. 1741 )
- 1930 - Arthur Conan Doyle, Scottish writer (b. 1859)
- 1956 - Gottfried Benn, German poet (b. 1886)
- 1973 - Max Horkheimer, German philosopher and sociologist (b. 1895)
- 2006 - Syd Barrett, British musician, co-founder and former member of Pink Floyd (b. 1946)