From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1462 - Vlad III the Impaler attempts to assassinate Mehmed II in The Night Attack, and the latter is forced to retreat from Wallachia.
- 1939 - Last public guillotining in France. Eugen Weidmann, a convicted murderer, is guillotined in Versailles outside the prison Saint-Pierre.
- 1970 - The bodies of Susan Blatchford (eleven years old), and Gary Hanlon (twelve years old), are found in a shallow grave in a wood at Waltham Abbey in Essex.
- 1880 - Carl Van Vechten, American writer and photographer (d. 1964)
- 1882 - Igor Stravinsky, Russian composer (d. 1971)
- 1907 - Charles Eames, American designer and architect (d. 1978)
- 1907 - Lucio Fulci, Italian film director (d. 1996)
- 1936 - Ken Loach, British director
- 1958 - Jello Biafra, American musician and activist
- 1961 - Alva Bernadine, British photographer
- 1762 - Prosper Jolyot de Crébillon, French writer (b. 1674)
- 1898 - Edward Burne-Jones, English artist (b. 1833)