From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1762 - Catherine the Great overthrows her husband Peter III and rises to the throne.
- 1819 - Mazeppa (Byron) published.
- 1855 - Gustave Courbet opens his private show The Pavilion of Realism.
- 1880 - Ned Kelly the Australian bushranger captured .
- 1914 - World War I, Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo.
- 1948 - "The Lottery" published
- 1969 - Stonewall riots begin in New York City at 1.20 in the morning.
- 1577 - Peter Paul Rubens, Flemish painter (d. 1640)
- 1712 - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Swiss philosopher (d. 1778)
- 1867 - Luigi Pirandello, Italian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1936)
- 1926 - Mel Brooks, American filmmaker