From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1568 - The Count of Hoorn and Count of Egmont are decapitated on the Grand Place in Brussels, the Dutch Revolt begins.
- 1851 - Uncle Tom's Cabin's first installment of a 40-week serial in an abolitionist periodical is published.
- 1968 - U.S. presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy is shot.
- 1981 - Five homosexual men in Los Angeles, California are reported to have a rare disease, in what turns out to be the first recognized cases of AIDS.
- 1989 - In China Tank Man, the Unknown Rebel halts the progress of a column of advancing tanks for over half an hour after the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
- 1928 - Tony Richardson, British director (d. 1991)
- 1934 - Ralph Rumney, British artist and founder of the London Psychogeographical Association (d. 2002).
- 1947 - Laurie Anderson, American performance artist