From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1099 - The First Crusade: The Siege of Jerusalem begins.
- 1494 - Spain and Portugal sign the Treaty of Tordesillas which divides the New World between the two countries.
- 1861 - Mazeppa premieres in New York, starring Adah Isaacs Menken.
- 1862 - The United States and Britain agree to suppress the slave trade.
- 1894 - The Blackmailers, a play by John Gray (poet) and his lover Marc-André Raffalovich, receives its one and only performance at the Prince of Whales Theatre.
- 1968 - Kunst und Revolution event at the University of Vienna.
- 1986 - Electrifying Mojo, has a long on-air chat with Prince on WJLB.
- 1778 - Beau Brummell, English fashion leader (d. 1840)
- 1848 - Paul Gauguin, French painter (d. 1903)
- 1928 - James Ivory, American film director
- 1958 - Prince, American musician
- 1960 - Mark Sinker British writer and music journalist
- 1965 - Damien Hirst, English artist and the most prominent of the group that has been dubbed "Young British Artists"
- 1980 - Henry Miller, American writer (b. 1891)
- 1994 - Dennis Potter, English dramatist (b. 1935)
- 2000 - Carlo Jacono, an Italian illustrator detective novel covers and gialli (b. 1929).
- 2003 - Georges Pichard, French adult comics artist (b. 1920).