From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1775 - Thomas Paine's "African Slavery in America" was published. It was the first article in the United States calling for the emancipation of all slaves and the abolition of slavery.
- 1782 - Gnadenhütten massacre: Some 90 Native Americans are killed by Americans.
- 1951 - The Honeymoon Killers are executed.
- 1983 - President of the United States Ronald Reagan calls the Soviet Union an evil empire
- 1993 - Beavis and Butt-head The show originally aired on the cable television channel MTV from March 8, 1993 to November 28, 1997
- 1761 - Jan Potocki, Polish writer (The Manuscript Found in Saragossa) (d. 1815)
- 1887 - Paul Féval, French novelist and dramatist (La Vampire) (b .1816)
- 1917 - Leslie Fiedler, American literary critic and mythographer (d. 2003)
- 1931 - Neil Postman, American cultural critic (d. 2003)
- 1945 - Anselm Kiefer, German painter
- 1958 - Gary Numan, British singer
- 1869 - Hector Berlioz, French composer (b. 1803)
- 1941 - Sherwood Anderson, American author (b. 1876)
- 1999 - Adolfo Bioy Casares, Argentinean writer (b.1914)
- 1970 - Waldo Peirce, American painter (b. 1884)