From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1776 - Publication of the economics book The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.
- 1796 - Napoléon Bonaparte marries his first wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais.
- 1959 - The Barbie doll debuts.
- 1964 - Ford Mustang The first production Mustang rolls off the assembly line
- 1763 - William Cobbett, English journalist and author (d. 1835)
- 1894 - Franz Wilhelm Seiwert, German painter (d. 1933)
- 1917 - Algirdas Julien Greimas, Lithuanian linguist (d. 1992)
- 1918 - Mickey Spillane, American writer (d. 2006)
- 1930 - Ornette Coleman, American saxophonist and composer
- 1942 - John Cale, Welsh musician (The Velvet Underground)
- 1943 - Bobby Fischer, American chess player (d. 2008)
- 1955 - Ornella Muti, Italian actress
- 1960 - Linda Fiorentino, American actress
- 1964 - Juliette Binoche, French actress
- 1825- Anna Laetitia Aikin, British poet and essayist (b. 1743)
- 1876 - Louise Colet, French poet (b. 1810)
- 1904 - Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, Austrian writer and journalist (Venus in Furs) (b. 1836)
- 1918 - Frank Wedekind, German playwright (Pandora's Box) (b. 1864)
- 1981 - Chris von Wangenheim, German fashion photographer (b. 1942)
- 1989 - Robert Mapplethorpe, American artist (b. 1946)
- 1994 - Charles Bukowski, American writer (b. 1920)
- 2003 - Stan Brakhage, American filmmaker (b. 1933)