From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1498 - Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake, in Florence, Italy.
- 1568 - Netherlands declare independence from Spain.
- 1871 - Tuileries Palace set on fire by the communards
- 1934 - American outlaws Bonnie and Clyde are killed by the police.
- 1969 - The Who releases the first rock opera Tommy
- 1707 - Carolus Linnaeus, Swedish botanist (d. 1778)
- 1934 - Robert Moog, American inventor (d. 2005)
- 1934 - Aslan, French painter, sculptor and pin-up artist
- 1944 - Lena Nyman, Swedish actress of Curious series
- 1965 - Tom Tykwer, German film director, best known for Run Lola Run
- 1498 - Girolamo Savonarola, Italian book burner and arts vandal (b. 1452)
- 1701 - Captain Kidd, Scottish pirate (b. 1645)
- 1906 - Henrik Ibsen, Norwegian writer (b. 1828)
- 1934 - Clyde Barrow, American outlaw (b. 1909)
- 1934 - Bonnie Parker, American outlaw (b. 1910)
- 1997 - James Lee Byars, American modern artist specializing in installation sculpture and in performance art. (b. 1932)