From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1538 - Geneva expels John Calvin and his followers from the city. Calvin lives in exile in Strasbourg for the next three years.
- 1665 - John Wilmot abducts Elizabeth Malet
- 1828 - Mysterious feral child Kaspar Hauser is discovered wandering the streets of Nuremberg.
- 1889 - Opening of the first Eiffel Tower elevator to the public.
- 1969 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono begin their second Bed-In for Peace.
- 1972 - Italy: the new domestic landscape exhibition opens at the MOMA.
- 1822 - Edmond de Goncourt, French writer (d. 1896)
- 1877 - Isadora Duncan, American dancer (d. 1927)
- 1886 - Al Jolson, American singer (d. 1950)
- 1913 - Peter Cushing, English actor (d. 1994)
- 1916 - Moondog, American composer (d. 1999)
- 1928 - Jack Kevorkian, American physician
- 1949 - Pam Grier, American actress
- 1703 - Samuel Pepys, English and diarist (b. 1633)
- 1904 - Georges Gilles de la Tourette, French neurologist (b. 1857)
- 1976 - Martin Heidegger, German philosopher (b. 1889)