From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1856 - First installment of Madame Bovary published
- 1886 - Le Symboliste, literary magazine founded in France.
- 1964 - The Free Speech Movement is launched on the campus of University of California, Berkeley.
- 1967 - Far From Vietnam premiers at the New York Film Festival
- 1989 - Denmark: World's first legal modern same-sex civil union called "registered partnership"
- 1842 - Charles Cros, French poet and inventor (d. 1888)
- 1910 - Bonnie Parker, American outlaw (d. 1934)
- 1930 - Philippe Noiret, French actor (d. 2006)
- 1940 - Richard Corben, American comic book artist
- 1935 - Julie Andrews, British actress and singer
- 1570 - Frans Floris, Flemish painter (b. 1520)
- 2004 - Richard Avedon, American photographer (b. 1923)
- 2006 - Renato Polselli, Italian filmmaker (b. 1922)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "October 1" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.