From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1911 - The Birth of the Sixth Art by Ricciotto Canudo
- 1917 - The First Marxist revolution, involving the capture of the Winter Palace, Petrograd, Russia.
- 1933 - Eduard Fuchs extensive art collection is confiscated by the Gestapo and partially destroyed.
- 1944 - Heinrich Himmler orders a crackdown on the Edelweiss Pirates, a loosely organized youth culture in Nazi Germany that had assisted army deserters and others to hide from the Third Reich.
- 1995 - Serbian director Emir Kusturica's epic film Underground is released in France after winning the Palme d'Or earlier in the year at Cannes.
- 1806 - Max Stirner, German philosopher (d. 1856)
- 1825 - Johann Strauss II, Austrian composer (d. 1899)
- 1838 - Georges Bizet, French composer (d. 1875)
- 1870 - Frank Norris, United States novelist (d. 1902)
- 1881 - Pablo Picasso, Spanish painter and sculptor (d. 1973)
- 1889 - Abel Gance, French screenwriter (d. 1981)
- 1894 - Claude Cahun, French surrealist photographer and writer.(d. 1954)
- 1913 - Klaus Barbie, Nazi war criminal (d. 1991)
- 1931 - Annie Girardot, French actress (d. 2011)
- 1938 - Bernadette Lafont, French actress (d. 2013)
- 1400 - Geoffrey Chaucer, English poet
- 1826 - Philippe Pinel, French psychiatrist (b. 1745)
- 1957 - Lord Dunsany, Irish writer (b. 1878)
- 1941 - Robert Delaunay, French painter (b. 1885)
- 1957 - Henry Van de Velde, Belgian painter, architect and interior designer. (b. 1863)
- 1973 - Cleo Moore, American actress (b. 1928)
- 1976 - Raymond Queneau, French poet and novelist (b. 1903)
- 1991 - Bill Graham, American rock promoter (b. 1931)
- 1993 - Vincent Price, American actor (b. 1911)
- 2004 - John Peel, British disc jockey (b. 1939)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "October 25" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.