From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1517 - Protestant Reformation: Martin Luther posts his 95 theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg.
- 1892 - Arthur Conan Doyle publishes The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
- 1966 - Spontaneous Festival of Underground Films at Jeanetta Cochrane Theatre in London
- 1991 - ANSWER Me! Issue No. 1 released
- 1692 - Comte de Caylus, French author (d. 1765)
- 1795 - John Keats, British poet (d. 1821)
- 1831 - Paolo Mantegazza, Italian neurologist (d. 1910)
- 1876 - Natalie Clifford Barney United States writer (d. 1972)
- 1883 - Marie Laurencin, French painter (d. 1956)
- 1902 - Marie-Laure de Noailles French art patron (d. 1970)
- 1920 - Helmut Newton, German photographer (d. 2004)
- 1924 - Enrico Baj, Italian artist, (d. 2003)
- 1925 - Charles Willard Moore, United States architect (Piazza d'Italia, 1979).
- 1926 - Jimmy Saville, English entertainer
- 1928 - Cleo Moore, American actress (d. 1973)
- 1928 - Andrew Sarris, U.S. film critic
- 1939 - Alui Farka Touré, Malian musician
- 1944 - Kinky Friedman, American musician and novelist
- 1950 - Zaha Hadid, British architect
- 1952 - Bernard Edwards, American bass guitarist (Chic) (d. 1996)
- 1959 - Neal Stephenson, American author
- 1961 - Peter Jackson, New Zealand film director
- 1918 - Egon Schiele, Austrian painter (b. 1890)
- 1926 - Harry Houdini, Hungarian-born magician (b. 1874)
- 1939 - Otto Rank, Austrian psychologist (b. 1884)
- 1943 - Max Reinhardt, German film director (b. 1873)
- 1976 - Eileen Gray, Irish designer (b. 1878 )
- 1993 - Federico Fellini, Italian director (b. 1920)
- 1993 - River Phoenix, American actor (drug overdose) (b. 1970)
- 1996 - Marcel Carné, French film director (b. 1906)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "October 31" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.