From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1923 - Amakasu Incident Sakae Osugi, Noe Ito, and Sakae's six year old nephew are arrested and later beaten to death.
- 1809 - Xavier Forneret, French writer. (d. 1884)
- 1856 - Baron Wilhelm von Gloeden, German photographer (d. 1931)
- 1881 - Clive Bell, English critic. (d. 1964)
- 1886 - Jean Arp, Alsatian sculptor and painter (d. 1966)
- 1906 - Jacques Brunius, French actor (d. 1967)
- 1925 - Charlie Byrd, American musician (d. 1999)
- 1925 - B. B. King, American musician
- 1935 - Carl Andre, American artist
- 1946 - Mamie Smith, American musician and performance artist (b. 1883)
- 1973 - Hermann Finsterlin German visionary architect (b. 1887)
- 1977 - Maria Callas, Greek-American soprano (b. 1923)
- 1979 - Gio Ponti, Italian architect and designer (b. 1981)
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "September 16" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.