From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Art and culture
- 1633 - Galileo Galilei is tried before the Inquisition for teaching that the Earth orbits the Sun.
- 1946 - The Cannes Film Festival is relaunched after the war.
- 1959 - Brion Gysin makes his first cut-up in the Beat Hotel in Paris.
- 2001 - Tate Modern's Surrealism: Desire Unbound, exhibition on surrealism opens in London.
- 1934 - Sophia Loren, Italian actress
- 1959 - Danny Devos, Belgian artist
- 1975 - Asia Argento, Italian actress
- 1639 - Johannes Meursius, Dutch classical scholar (b. 1579)
- 1945 - William Buehler Seabrook, Writer, journalist, occultist and explorer (b. 1884)
- 1961 - Andrzej Munk, Polish film director (b. 1920)
- 2000 - Jeanloup Sieff, Parisian-born Polish photographer. (b. 1933)
- 2004 - Raymond Borde, French film critic (b. 1920 )
Unless indicated otherwise, the text in this article is either based on Wikipedia article "September 20" or another language Wikipedia page thereof used under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License; or on original research by Jahsonic and friends. See Art and Popular Culture's copyright notice.