From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
1855 is the 55th year of the 19th century, and the 6th year of the 1850s decade.
Art and culture
- Der Cicerone by Jacob Burckhardt
- Gustave Courbet opens his private show The Pavilion of Realism
- Paris Salon of 1855
- Exposition Universelle (1855)
- "I Sing the Body Electric" by Walt Whitman
- Stamp duty was removed from newspapers in Britain creating mass media in the UK.
- Chemistry of Common Life by James Finlay Weir Johnston
- John Camden Hotten opens a bookselling business in London, which is the origin of the publisher Chatto & Windus.