From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"I am a sick man. ... I am a spiteful man." --incipit to Notes from Underground (1864) by Fyodor Dostoevsky
1864 is a year of the 1860s.
Art and culture
- Notes from Underground (1864) - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Dictionnaire érotique moderne by Alfred Delvau
- Monsieur Lecoq
- The 1864 edition of Webster's Dictionary published the first definition of pornography as ""licentious painting employed to decorate the walls of rooms sacred to bacchanalian orgies, examples of which exist in Pompeii."
- Gustave Moreau, Oedipus and the Sphinx; painting
- Charles Baudelaire meets Félicien Rops
- Krischan mit der Piepe by Wilhelm Busch
- January 1 - Alfred Stieglitz, American photographer (d. 1946)
- January 24 - Marguerite Durand, French actress, journalist, and feminist leader (d. 1936)
- April 21 - Max Weber, German sociologist (d. 1920)
- June 11 - Richard Strauss, German composer (d. 1949)
- November 24 - Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, French painter (d. 1901)