From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"How it is that anything so remarkable as a state of consciousness comes about as the result of irritating nervous tissue, is just as unaccountable as the appearance of the Djinn when Aladdin rubbed his lamp." --The Elements of Physiology and Hygiene (1868) Thomas Henry Huxley
1868 is a year of the 1860s.
Art and culture
- Hicklin test stemming from a court case in 1868
- L'École des biches, an erotic French work that was first published at Brussels in 1868
- The Songs of Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont, first canto published
- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
- Spiritual Wives London (Lippincott, 1868)
Lise the bohemian by Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- Elihu Vedder
- The Roc's Egg (1868), a scene that could have furnished Ray Harryhausen with inspiration for The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad.
- Gaston Leroux (1868 - 1927)
- Magnus Hirschfeld (1868-1935)
- Wilhelm Stekel (1868 -1940)
- Paul Otlet (1868–1944), creator of the Universal Decimal Classification