From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"Sometimes after an hour of apathy, my strange and beautiful companion would take my hand and hold it with a fond pressure, renewed again and again; blushing softly, gazing in my face with languid and burning eyes, and breathing so fast that her dress rose and fell with the tumultuous respiration. It was like the ardour of a lover; it embarrassed me; it was hateful and yet overpowering; and with gloating eyes she drew me to her, and her hot lips travelled along my cheek in kisses; and she would whisper, almost in sobs, 'You are mine, you shall be mine, and you and I are one for ever'." --Carmilla (1872) by Sheridan Le Fanu
1872 (MDCCCLXXII) was the 872nd year of the 2nd millennium, the 72nd year of the 19th century, and the 3rd year of the 1870s decade.
Art and culture
- Carmilla by Sheridan Le Fanu
- The Birth of Tragedy by Nietzsche
- London: A Pilgrimage by Gustave Doré
- Impression, soleil levant (1872/1873) - Claude Monet
- Rimbaud's and Verlaine's stormy romantic relationship swept them to London in 1872, when Verlaine left his wife and infant son.
- Samuel Butler – Erewhon