From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
1886 was the 86th year of the 19th century, and the 7th year of the 1880s decade.
Art and culture
- A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte (1886) by Seurat
- Skull with a Cigarette (1886) - Vincent van Gogh
- Les Diaboliques by Barbey d'Aurevilly illustrated by Félicien Rops published.
- International labor strikes, riots.
- November 30 - Folies Bergère stages its first revue.
- Beyond Good and Evil by Nietzsche
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Future Eve by Auguste Villiers de l'Isle-Adam
- Psychopathia Sexualis by Richard von Krafft-Ebing
- Le Décadent littéraire et artistique founded in Paris by Anatole Baju
- "Symbolist Manifesto" by Jean Moréas published in Le Figaro
- Kryptádia Vol. 3 (1886)
- March 1 - Oskar Kokoschka, Austrian artist and poet (d. 1980)
- March 2 - Willis O'Brien, stop motion animator (d. 1962)
- March 24 - Edward Weston, American photographer (d. 1958)
- May 2 - Gottfried Benn, German poet (d. 1956)
- May 10 - Olaf Stapledon, British author, philosopher (d. 1950)
- September 16 - Jean Arp, Alsatian sculptor, painter, and poet (d. 1966)
- November 1 - Hermann Broch, Austrian author (d. 1951)
- December 8 - Diego Rivera, Mexican painter (d. 1957)
- March 17 - Pierre-Jules Hetzel, editor and publisher (b. 1814)
- May 15 - Emily Dickinson, American poet (b. 1830)