From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
Authenticity is the quality of being authentic or of established authority for truth and correctness; genuineness; the quality of being genuine or not corrupted from the original; truthfulness of origins, attributions, commitments, sincerity, and intentions; not a copy or forgery.
Authenticity or authentic may refer to:
- Authentication, having passed the tests thereof
- Authenticity (philosophy), a particular way of dealing with the external world, being faithful to internal rather than external ideas
- Authenticity in art, either nominal or expressive
- Authentic performance refers to a movement in classical music also known as historically informed performance
- Authenticity (reenactment), in historical reenactment, a measure of how close an item, prop, action, weapon, or custom is, to what would actually have been used or done in the time period being depicted
In "selling out" context
In art, authenticity describes how individuals experience art as being authentic, real or original as opposed to being commercial.