Príncipe Pío (hill)
From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
It is named after the prince Pius of Savoy, who owned property there. Later, barracks (Cuartel de la Montaña) were constructed there. The Madrilene rebels who fought the Napoleonic invaders on 2 May 1808 were executed there on the morning of 3 May, as painted by Francisco de Goya.
Around the 1960s, the barracks were demolished to make room for the Parque del Oeste ("West Park"). The former location of the Barracks is now the site of the Temple of Debod, a Nubian temple given by the Egyptian government to Spain in gratitude for Spanish help in saving antiquities during the building of the Aswan Dam.