From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"It were exceedingly desirable that the names of things might consist of such sounds as should bear in them some analogy to their natures; and the figure and character of their names should bear some proper resemblance to those sounds that men might easily guess at the sense or meaning of any name or word, upon the first hearing or sight of it. But how this can be done in all the particular species of things I understand not, and therefore shall take it for granted that this character must be by institution".--An Essay Towards a Real Character, and a Philosophical Language (1668) by John Wilkins
- The quality or state of resembling; likeness; similitude; similarity.
- That which resembles, or is similar; a representation; a likeness.
- A comparison; a simile.
- Probability; verisimilitude.
Resemblance may refer to:
- Resemblance nominalism
- Ludwig Wittgenstein's family resemblances
- In text mining, the degree to which two documents resemble each other, calculated using shingles