From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"Of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing can ever be made."--"Idea for a Universal History with a Cosmopolitan Purpose" (1784) by Immanuel Kant
Art and culture
- Traces du Magnétisme by Jacques Cambry
- In "What Is Enlightenment?", Immanuel Kant defines Ennlightenment
- "La Paysanne pervertie" by Restif de la Bretonne is published in four parts
- Histoire de Marguerite, fille de Suzon
- Samuel Ödman is the first to suggest that Vikings used fly-agaric (Amanita muscaria) to produce their berserk rages.