From The Art and Popular Culture Encyclopedia
"After reading his Three Primitives you may be tempted to visit Colmar, where hang in the museum several paintings by Mathias Grunewald, who is the chief theme of the French writer's [Huysmans] book."--Egoists: A Book of Supermen (1909) by James Huneker
1909 is the 909th year of the 2nd millennium, the 9th year of the 20th century, and the 10th and last year of the 1900s decade.
Art and culture
- Guillaume Apollinaire published a selection of his writings in L'œuvre du Marquis de Sade, where he introduced Sade as "the freest spirit that had ever lived."
- Seaweed (ca. 1909) - Paul Chabas
- Literary Taste: How to Form It by Arnold Bennett
- "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forster
- The Other Side by Alfred Kubin
- The first recorded use of 'marihuana' in the United States
- Futurist Manifesto
- Geschmacksverirrungen im Kunstgewerbe (English: Lapses of taste in the applied arts), an exhibition made up purely of items of 'bad taste'.
- Eugène Ionesco (1909-1994)
- Clement Greenberg (1909-1994)
- Riccardo Freda (1909 - 1999)
- André Pieyre de Mandiargues (1909 - 1991)
- Francis Bacon (1909 – 1992)
- June 28 - Richard Muther, German art historian (b. 1860)